Saturday, May 3, 2014

Scorch Trials pt. 3

As promised, here is part three of my exciting Scorch Trials saga. I know, you're all extremely excited.

Summary of Chapters 34

I know, I'm very lazy and only read one chapter. I'm as shocked and disheartened as you. In my defense, I have been busy. Anyway, on to the facts.

When we left off, Thomas had just killed a Crank that was trying to kill him. Understandably, he is a bit upset about this. Thomas and Brenda watch the Crank spasm and die quite horribly. Thomas then says something that is incredibly emblematic of a shift for the novel, "He'd had enough of long dark tunnels. Enough to last a lifetime. 'I want daylight, I don't care what it takes. I want daylight. Now.'"


Thomas and Brenda leave the Underneath. That name still fills me with exactly the same amount of annoyance as Unobtainium from Avatar does. They walk through the town until dark. There is no sign of the other Gladers or Jorge, a thought that would worry me if I didn't know there were a third book. All the safe, I'm still slightly nervous. I really want Minho and Newt to survive.

Thomas and Brenda decide to sleep in an old truck in an alley for the night. These two are getting really close to each other, something that Thomas feels really guilty about because of his relationship with Theresa. That
... if I have to deal with one more unnecessary love triangle.
is exactly what this series needed. A fucking love triangle. Can't one damn young adult novel series not involve a goddamn love triangle? Honestly, it's not necessary. Back to the book. They discuss the death of the Crank, she tries to make him feel less guilty, which is nice. They discuss their pasts. Brenda's father was murdered in front of her when she was taken away because she had the Flare. After this disturbing revelation, they go to sleep.

Analysis

Okay, I want to continue the discussion of darkness as a theme in the novel. Up until this chapter, darkness has been incredibly important and all encompassing. Even when it wasn't physically dark, there was something obscuring reality. There were dust storms and clouds. Basically, the Gladers were always in the dark. With this chapter, we begin to see a tonal shift. With Thomas's desire to be in the light, we see that he has finally had enough of being in the dark, both literally and figuratively. He is done with the lies and the confusion. He wants answers and, with his killing of the Crank, he has the motivation necessary to propel him toward finding those answers.

What do you guys think? What does Thomas's desire to be in the light mean in a larger sense for both the novel and the characters? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

Until next time, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment